The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
-Buechner

Sunday, January 10, 2010

I Am Mama

When Noah was young - one and a half or so, he still hadn't really spoken. It wasn't a concern, he'd said his first word ("deet" = dirt) proving he was, in fact 100% boy. And eventually, soon after Tait was born he said Daddy...he was about 20 months or so. For the life of us, we couldn't get him to say Mummy though. I tried not to take it personally but you know, I did only spend pretty much every waking moment with him. I was the hand who fed and the cuddle who embraced.

Around 21 months or so he finally said it, not Mummy but Mama. At first I wasn't sure but after thinking it over (and later on hearing the word Mummy come out of his mouth) I realized how much I adored (still do!) being called Mama. Ironically it didn't sound as such when it came out of the mouth of others but when Noah said Mummy it just sounded spoiled and whiney. (If you know me, you'll know those are pet peeves.)

So Mama I was.

And Mama I remain.

And I love it.

I found out just recently that Mama means Mummy in Amharic/Oromo.

I'm not trying to sound super profound or like it must have meant something or that it's a fluke or it's fate or anything.

I just think it's really cool.

I am Mama.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

cute. I'm Mama too to Finn. I like it.

Barbara said...

I am a proud mama too! And Mak is Oromo.

The Hattons... said...

I love being a Mama. I always know when I'm being yelled at in the playground, mall etc unless of course you are in an Ethiopian Adoption Playgroup! LOL. And now I can't imagine being called Mom or Mommy.